What to Wear for your Photo Session
As a photographer we are often asked ‘what should I wear to my photo session?”
As you sit here and imagine that look you want your images to reflect, keep the following tips in mind:
- Begin with your desired color palette. Keep this simple. Where do you plan to display your portraits within your home? Select tones that will compliment your walls. If your walls are neutral, you may want to add a “pop” of color to make the images stand out even more.
- Neutrals/light colors are always a winner for newborn sessions. Creams, grays, browns, light blues, and soft pinks create an airy feel to your photos, and match with the softness of your little one. Don’t feel the need to match everyone in white shirts and jeans, you can mix light browns, grays, blush, etc.
- As cute as it may be, dont’ do the “matchy-matchy” look. Coordinate instead. If your little one’s dress has a floral pattern, use those colors within the outfit to pull through the remainder of the family’s clothing and accessories, keeping their outfits more simple.
- Patterns are perfect, in moderation.
- Stay away from large logos (or any writing, if you can help it), avoid neon colors or other distracting graphics to not overshadow the star of the show: your new baby!
- Think about textures, shades, and varying tones of the same color. These elements can add that little detail you are looking for.
- Accessories can add that special finishing touch. However, keep in mind the focus of the image, we don’t want the accessories to overwhelm the image. We have all heard that phrase, “less is more”.
- While your favourite pair of nike tennis-shoes may make your tiny man run faster, and jump higher, they shouldn’t be the pair of choice for your portraits. Your shoe choice does make a difference!
- If you have plans to go shoping, make sure to do so a week or so in advance.
- If you are not sure what to get just contact us and we will be happy to help.